Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Simple Dutch Oven Bag Tutorial



1.  Use your lid to measure for the bottom of your bag.  Cut a circle an inch or so bigger than your lid all the way around.

2  Cut a strip about twice the height of your Dutch oven and long.  I thought mine needed to be 34" long, but it really needed to be a little less.  It's better a little longer than shorter because you can always make it a little smaller very easily by cutting.  Geometry wold have come in handy here.
 

3. Pin the bottom to the side, straight stitch, then zig-zag your edge.

I sewed my strip into a tube, then attached it to my bottom piece.  In retrospect, since my length measurement was a guess anyway, I shouldn't have made the tube.  I should have pinned my strip to the bottom all the way around, then stitched my ends together at the appropriate place for a perfect fit.



4.  Zig-zag your top edge.

5.  Fold down your top edge all the way around and stitch down.  I felt it was too bulky to fold under; that's why I zig-zagged.  I folded this one down 3/4".  You could do 1", or whatever.

6.  Drop your Dutch oven in to see where to secure the belt.

7.  Secure with pins.  Take out your Dutch oven.  Straight stitch securely!


8.  Put the Dutch oven back in.  Fold up & secure.

9.  Cute as a button!

You could get really creative and use some old pockets on the sides, or cut off belt loops and use them to secure the belts (strap/handle), rather than just tacking them down.  I just didn't want to take the time!

Took less than an hour.

1 comment: