Thursday, October 21, 2010
I know I already made my daughter an Alice costume, but looks like we're going with Popeye, Olive Oyl, and Sweet Pea instead.
I used this idea for the Olive Oyl collar: http://blueeyedfreckle.blogspot.com/2010/09/tutorial-17th-century-ruffle-collar.html. The ribbon stuff I used on the sleeves would have been too stiff for a collar. I originally bought it for the collar, forgetting I needed ruffles on the sleeves, too, so it actually worked out. Here's a gross tidbit: the knit fabric I used for the collar was from the sides of the In-N-Out shirt I took in. Ok, that's not so bad, but I really don't think I washed the shirt before I took it in; therefore, the collar was the sides of my sweaty workout shirt!!!!! I haven't told anyone that . . . yet!
She noticed on the movie cover that Olive Oyl had red earrings; hence, non-matching buttons on thread around her ears.
She also wanted black hair, so we splurged on $5 black hair spray, which, I might add, put a nice black ring around the bathtub when we washed her hair out!
I learned how to make the sailor collar here: http://www.godsavethequeenfashions.com/Making_a_Sailor_Collar.html. It turned out a little shorter in front than I expected, but I was able to still get it to work without re-making the front of the shirt. I think I can do a better job next time.
I can't remember where I read to get some stockings and stuff them for Popeye arms. I found some microfiber (I think) knee-highs that I cut the toes off of. I wrapped quilt batting around his arms, then put the socks over and tucked the ends under.
Made a new hat! I think I feel a tutorial coming on!