Thursday, January 27, 2011

Neti Pot Salt Solution

I realize this is quite a personal subject, one that I shouldn't share with the world, but I started using a Neti Pot. If you don't know what that is, it's a little pot you fill with warm salt water, you stick it in one nostril and pour the water through your nose out the other nostril.  The pediatrician said they can really help, so I've been using it when I have a cold or when I'm stuffy.  I have serious stuffy nose problems and always seem to catch colds, and I've been doing so much better since using the Neti Pot.

My starter kit came with 30 or 40 or something salt packs.  They're all gone, but there's NO WAY I'm paying for new salt packs.  I got on line to see what I could put in my salt solution.  I got all sorts of ideas:
  • 1 t finely ground uniodized salt with 1 C water
  • 1/2 t baking soda with 1 t uniodized salt in 2 - 3 C water
  • 1/8 t salt with 8 oz non-chlorinated, boiled water
  • 3 parts salt to 1 part baking soda
  • 1/8 t salt to 1/2 C water
  • 1/4 t salt, 1/4 t soda, 1/4 t glycerine
  • 1/2 t, 1 C water
  • 1/4 t salt, 8 oz. boiled water
So, looks like I at least needed non-iodized salt and some baking soda.  I almost always have only iodized salt on hand, but realized I had some Kosher salt.  I poured some in the blender, ground it up, then added another 1/4-1/3 part baking soda.  I poured it all into my glass jar, shook it up and added 1/4 t measuring spoon, and put the whole thing in my cupboard.

Now all I do is scoop out a little less than 1/4 t of salt/soda, put it in my Neti Pot, fill it with warm water, and ta-da! I can breathe again!

More info on using the Neti Pot.

1 comment: