Sunday, January 6, 2013

American Girl Doll Clothes

We broke down and got our 6 year old daughter an American Girl doll for Christmas.  It's so not like me to get all faddish, but we did go all out and got her the NEW Caroline from 1812.  She has pretty blond ringlets and Regency clothes, so how could I resist? Of course I wanted to sew her some clothes, so I, of course again, searched for some FREE patterns online and found a few.  I also thought the fantastic Sense & Sensibility e-pattern was a deal ($6.95 and I love Jennie Chancey), but haven't made anything from it yet!

I got this FREE pattern from My Cup Overflows and modified the neckline.  Also, instead of making a bodice and a skirt for a dress like the pattern says, I just carried down the bodice lines into the skirt to make this nightgown.  It was really fast.  I made it on Christmas.

I also used the above pattern to make this little dress.  I need a ribbon for a sash and wish I'd made the dress a bit longer, but now I know!  I don't really like the shape of the skirt for the bodice either and wish I'd made it fuller and gathered.  The neck is also a little big.  I used piping left over from one of my pioneer dresses.  Glad I didn't throw that away.  I made the entire dress by hand while I watched shows on Netflix (The Artist & From Time to Time).

My mom also made the below dress from a pattern she had from when my sister was a little girl.  I'm afraid we might just have too much fun sewing.  We'd better save any new dresses for birthday presents!



4 comments:

  1. No such things as too much sewing! New doll dresses can be a weekly delight, I'm sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting the dress I made. I forgot to take a photo of it before giving it to Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What type of closure did you use for the nightgown? I'm working on drafting this pattern now, and can't picture how it should be. The original post (where the pattern is) says the dress is snug, so it seems that pulling it over the doll's head won't work. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's been so long, but I'm thinking snaps or Velcro.

    ReplyDelete